Teaching Modern History

History is written by those in power. Perspectives from minorities and those who are oppressed are constantly being erased from the popular narrative and almost never included in textbooks, lesson plans or in the news. This leads to a culture of believing that certain people are not worth listening to, even when they are directly part of an event. Throughout our Humanities class, Equality, we have been studying different forms of oppression, the history of minorities within the United States, and how we have begun to overcome oppression. For our Action Project, we wrote a chapter from a textbook about a modern event from the point of view of someone in a minority. I chose to focus on the 2018 March for Our Lives, a protest against gun violence that was led and founded by teens. It has been very frustrating as a young person to try to get my views listened to. I have heard people tell me that 'I will understand when I am older," or that "I don't have enough experience to understand," and the March for Our Lives was such an empowering and important event for me and countless other young activists. In my chapter, I interviewed one of my friends who also went to the march. They are a sixteen-year-old genderfluid pansexual Latinx person and has personally experienced gun violence.


Roeder, Phil. "March for Our Lives." 24 March 2018. 

Comments