Littered with Waste

How do you create a system that eliminates waste? The answer: look at nature! Forever, nature has been in control of its own waste by creating closed-loop systems, processes where there is no waste produced and where each part relies on another. For this unit, Fungi, we studied how fungi and other decomposers help to complete the loop and restart natural processes. Our challenge this term was to create our own closed loop based on a product that we use in day-to-day life. I chose to focus on cat litter, as I have two cats, and I always feel uncomfortable with how quickly we throw out the litter and how wasteful it is. Thank you for reading.



I very much enjoyed this project. Getting the chance to create our own closed-loop really helped me to understand how they work and where they are found in the natural world. I wish there was more of an opportunity to relate our designs to the different kinds of decomposers we studied, though I understand why we didn't, because, for some people, it might be kind of forced. If I were to do this project over again, I would start my process by drawing the diagrams instead of the writing portion. I think it was hard for me to write about my product without having something to reference. 

Litter Box Problems, ASPCA (2013)

Comments