Amazing Animal Adaptations

How can humans learn from animal adaptations? How do animals function in their habitats and ecosystems? How can we apply animal adaptations to human life? These are the questions we answered in the second unit of our elective STEAM class, Biomimicry. By studying certain animals and their forms (physical adaptations), processes (behavioral adaptations), and ecosystem (coadaptations), we can apply their lessons to human problems. Other animals are generally better at solving their own problems through adaptations, as they have been evolving for much more time than humans have. To expand these ideas and design our own innovations, this Action Project was to design a form of architecture and a form of transportation based on two animals. To help us with these projects, we met with an architect, Maya, who supported us by helping us cement our ideas and build 3D models. Thank you for reading!



Architecture Design, MDS (2018)


If I had the opportunity to do this project again, I would start working on the 3D model a bit earlier. Even though I was able to complete it in about two and a half hours, I think I could've spent more time working on some of the details, and it probably would've ended up a little neater. I really enjoyed getting to dive deeper into researching these two amazing animals, and I hope I can keep  in the mindset of biomimicry to continue thinking sustainably.

Comments